About Surgical Treatments
Depending on your specific retina condition, surgery may be part of your treatment plan. At Retina Consultants of Houston, our experienced, sub-specialized retina surgeons are all board-certified ophthalmologists who have trained at some of the top medical centers and training facilities in the country.
The main types of surgery we perform include:
"Mine was, more or less, an urgent situation, so I was very lucky to be able to see her. She had a staff who did the photos/preliminary exams and they were excellent. When I saw her, she had all the results. The news was good and she gave me all the info I needed. To me, time spent was not relevant, as she gave me all the time I needed to ask questions. Since the news was good, I had very few questions."- F.A. / Healthgrades / Oct 06, 2018
"Dr. Major and all the staff are amazing! Very caring, very comfortable atmosphere! Highly Recommend!"- B.C. / Facebook / Mar 12, 2019
"The entire staff has been very patient and caring. I'm thrilled to have Dr. Shah as my doctor! He's so gentle and caring."- B.S. / Facebook / Mar 07, 2019
"Dr Shefler and everyone else in the office were outstanding. I highly recommend Retina Consultants of Houston."- M.T. / Google / Feb 28, 2019
"I was told by my Optimologist that there was a concern with my retina and encouraged me not to delay in seeing a Dr at Retina Consultants. Fortunately, Retina Consultants allowed me to come right away to have my eyes examined. Dr. Kim and the staff was very professional and courteous. I felt that I was in the best place for my eye issues. I highly recommended Retina Consultants."- R.P. / Google / Feb 16, 2019
Surgical Outcomes/Quality Care
In order to ensure the best possible retinal care and surgical outcomes, Retina Consultants of Houston has also established a quality assurance/surgical outcomes assessment program which is is led by two of our physicians and a registered nurse. They routinely review the surgical procedures performed by our retina surgeons, the success rates achieved, and ways to continually improve the quality of care we provide to our valued patients.
Retina Consultants of Houston Surgical Success Rates for Two Common Retinal Conditions: Macular Holes and Primary Retinal Detachments
• Achieved 96 percent success rate among our surgeons in closing macular holes
• Achieved 100 percent success rate in surgically treating acute/new macular holes
• Ninety-three percent of patients experienced improvement or stability in their vision.
• These success rates are higher than the percentages of surgical success typically reported in scientific literature.
Primary Retinal Detachment:
• Average visual acuity before surgery was 20/200 (legally blind), and average visual acuity after surgery was 20/40 (considered driving vision in Texas).
• Achieved successful reattached retina for 94.7 percent of patients
• We were able to use an in-office procedure called pneumatic retinopexy in 15 percent of retinal detachment cases, requiring no hospitalization and achieving total reattachment.