About Surgical Treatments
Depending on your specific retina condition, surgery may be part of your treatment plan. At Retina Consultants of Houston, our experienced, sub-specialized retina surgeons are all board-certified ophthalmologists who have trained at some of the top medical centers and training facilities in the country.
The main types of surgery we perform include:
"Mine was, more or less, an urgent situation, so I was very lucky to be able to see her. She had a staff who did the photos/preliminary exams and they were excellent. When I saw her, she had all the results. The news was good and she gave me all the info I needed. To me, time spent was not relevant, as she gave me all the time I needed to ask questions. Since the news was good, I had very few questions."- F.A. / Healthgrades / Oct 06, 2018
"Dr. O'Malley is awesome. I was treated for ocular melanoma in Boston and he is my go to doctor in Houston. Don't know what I would do without him."- Anonymous / Healthgrades / May 24, 2019
"Retina Consultants of Houston has done a great job keeping my sight 20/20. After two detached retinas I still have excellent vision thanks to the technology they use and their excellent doctors and technicians. Appointments are always on schedule and they have a great process. A special shout out for Dr Wong and Dr Brown for repairing my retinas."- R.W. / Google / May 01, 2019
"An exceptional team of professional doctors. They have multiple convenient locations. The office staff are friendly and efficient. Highly recommend."- K.T. / Google / May 01, 2019
"I have had a wonderful experience at the Cypress location and the Med center location. Everyone is friendly and helpful."- R.F. / Google / Apr 26, 2019
Surgical Outcomes/Quality Care
In order to ensure the best possible retinal care and surgical outcomes, Retina Consultants of Houston has also established a quality assurance/surgical outcomes assessment program which is is led by two of our physicians and a registered nurse. They routinely review the surgical procedures performed by our retina surgeons, the success rates achieved, and ways to continually improve the quality of care we provide to our valued patients.
Retina Consultants of Houston Surgical Success Rates for Two Common Retinal Conditions: Macular Holes and Primary Retinal Detachments
• Achieved 96 percent success rate among our surgeons in closing macular holes
• Achieved 100 percent success rate in surgically treating acute/new macular holes
• Ninety-three percent of patients experienced improvement or stability in their vision.
• These success rates are higher than the percentages of surgical success typically reported in scientific literature.
Primary Retinal Detachment:
• Average visual acuity before surgery was 20/200 (legally blind), and average visual acuity after surgery was 20/40 (considered driving vision in Texas).
• Achieved successful reattached retina for 94.7 percent of patients
• We were able to use an in-office procedure called pneumatic retinopexy in 15 percent of retinal detachment cases, requiring no hospitalization and achieving total reattachment.