About The Retina
Retina Consultants of Houston’s sub-specialized team of board-certified physicians diagnoses and treats a full range of diseases and conditions that affect the eye’s retina and vitreous.
- The retina is the inner lining of the eye and works like the film in a camera. Light enters the eye and is focused onto the retina, the light-sensing part of the eye. This information is transmitted though the optic nerve to the brain where it is interpreted as the images you see.
- The macula is the part of the retina responsible for your central vision.
- The retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) is a layer of cells that support the overlying photoreceptors, the cells that actually sense the light that enters your eye.
- Underneath the RPE is the choroid, a major blood supply that brings nutrients and oxygen to your retina.
- The vitreous is a a clear, jelly-like substance that fills the middle of the eye between the lens and the retina.
"Mine was, more or less, an urgent situation, so I was very lucky to be able to see her. She had a staff who did the photos/preliminary exams and they were excellent. When I saw her, she had all the results. The news was good and she gave me all the info I needed. To me, time spent was not relevant, as she gave me all the time I needed to ask questions. Since the news was good, I had very few questions."- F.A. / Healthgrades / Oct 06, 2018
"Dr. Major and all the staff are amazing! Very caring, very comfortable atmosphere! Highly Recommend!"- B.C. / Facebook / Mar 12, 2019
"The entire staff has been very patient and caring. I'm thrilled to have Dr. Shah as my doctor! He's so gentle and caring."- B.S. / Facebook / Mar 07, 2019
"Dr Shefler and everyone else in the office were outstanding. I highly recommend Retina Consultants of Houston."- M.T. / Google / Feb 28, 2019
"I was told by my Optimologist that there was a concern with my retina and encouraged me not to delay in seeing a Dr at Retina Consultants. Fortunately, Retina Consultants allowed me to come right away to have my eyes examined. Dr. Kim and the staff was very professional and courteous. I felt that I was in the best place for my eye issues. I highly recommended Retina Consultants."- R.P. / Google / Feb 16, 2019