About The Retina
Retina Consultants of Houston’s sub-specialized team of board-certified physicians diagnoses and treats a full range of diseases and conditions that affect the eye’s retina and vitreous.
- The retina is the inner lining of the eye and works like the film in a camera. Light enters the eye and is focused onto the retina, the light-sensing part of the eye. This information is transmitted though the optic nerve to the brain where it is interpreted as the images you see.
- The macula is the part of the retina responsible for your central vision.
- The retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) is a layer of cells that support the overlying photoreceptors, the cells that actually sense the light that enters your eye.
- Underneath the RPE is the choroid, a major blood supply that brings nutrients and oxygen to your retina.
- The vitreous is a a clear, jelly-like substance that fills the middle of the eye between the lens and the retina.
"Mine was, more or less, an urgent situation, so I was very lucky to be able to see her. She had a staff who did the photos/preliminary exams and they were excellent. When I saw her, she had all the results. The news was good and she gave me all the info I needed. To me, time spent was not relevant, as she gave me all the time I needed to ask questions. Since the news was good, I had very few questions."- F.A. / Healthgrades / Oct 06, 2018
"I have had a wonderful experience at the Cypress location and the Med center location. Everyone is friendly and helpful."- R.F. / Google / Apr 26, 2019
"Dr.Wong is the best, he has an excellent bedside manner and explains everything to his patients. His team is exceptional when it comes to answering questions and making the patient comfortable about asking questions."- S.Y. / Facebook / Apr 12, 2019
"I was very impressed with Retina Consultants of Houston. The staff was friendly, professional and timely. I was called in to my appointment ahead of time. It's obvious Dr. Benz is well educated as a specialist. He was very pleasant to deal with and was able to perform a laser procedure on my first visit. I would highly recommend this practice."- C.D. / Google / Apr 12, 2019
"Very caring and does not rush you or any questions you may have. First time a doctor has ever asked me for my healthcare providers information in order to keep my medical records up to date and accurate. I highly recommend Dr. Schefler,"- J.D. / Google / Apr 12, 2019