About The Retina
Retina Consultants of Houston’s sub-specialized team of board-certified physicians diagnoses and treats a full range of diseases and conditions that affect the eye’s retina and vitreous.
- The retina is the inner lining of the eye and works like the film in a camera. Light enters the eye and is focused onto the retina, the light-sensing part of the eye. This information is transmitted though the optic nerve to the brain where it is interpreted as the images you see.
- The macula is the part of the retina responsible for your central vision.
- The retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) is a layer of cells that support the overlying photoreceptors, the cells that actually sense the light that enters your eye.
- Underneath the RPE is the choroid, a major blood supply that brings nutrients and oxygen to your retina.
- The vitreous is a a clear, jelly-like substance that fills the middle of the eye between the lens and the retina.
"Mine was, more or less, an urgent situation, so I was very lucky to be able to see her. She had a staff who did the photos/preliminary exams and they were excellent. When I saw her, she had all the results. The news was good and she gave me all the info I needed. To me, time spent was not relevant, as she gave me all the time I needed to ask questions. Since the news was good, I had very few questions."- F.A. / Healthgrades / Oct 06, 2018
"Dr. O'Malley is awesome. I was treated for ocular melanoma in Boston and he is my go to doctor in Houston. Don't know what I would do without him."- Anonymous / Healthgrades / May 24, 2019
"Retina Consultants of Houston has done a great job keeping my sight 20/20. After two detached retinas I still have excellent vision thanks to the technology they use and their excellent doctors and technicians. Appointments are always on schedule and they have a great process. A special shout out for Dr Wong and Dr Brown for repairing my retinas."- R.W. / Google / May 01, 2019
"An exceptional team of professional doctors. They have multiple convenient locations. The office staff are friendly and efficient. Highly recommend."- K.T. / Google / May 01, 2019
"I have had a wonderful experience at the Cypress location and the Med center location. Everyone is friendly and helpful."- R.F. / Google / Apr 26, 2019